Avoid the inhalation of sulfur dioxide from burning
Sulfur dioxide (SO2) is a toxic gas.
Approved Code of Practice for the Prevention of Sulphur Fires and
Flaked Sulfur MSDS
SECTION 3 FIRE AND
Flashpoint: 405OF (207.2oC)
Explosive Limits of Dust in Air: LEL 35 g/m3 UEL
Auto-ignition Temperature: 478-511oF (248-266oC)
Extinguishing Media: Water fog , spray, or regular foam. Do not use a direct water stream.
Burning Sulfur decomposes into TOXIC
sulfur oxide gasses such as:
dioxide (SO2) and Hydrogen
Sulfur dust suspended in air ignites easily, and can cause an explosion in confined areas.
May be ignited by friction, static electricity, heat, sparks, or flames. Toxic gases will
form upon combustion. Bulk/solid forms burn only at moderate rate, whereas dust burns with
Wear full-faced, self-contained breathing apparatus and full protective
clothing. Use a water fog to extinguish fire. Do not use solid streams of
water; which could create sulfur dust clouds and cause an explosion or move burning sulfur
to adjacent areas. Fire will rekindle until mass is cooled below 310 oF (154oC).
Cool surrounding areas with water fog to prevent re-igniting. Cool containers, tank cars,
or trailer loads with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out. Evacuate
nonessential personnel from the fire area. If large fire, evacuate people downwind from
fire. Isolate for ½ mile in all directions, consider evacuation for ½ mile in all
directions. Prevent human exposure to smoke, fumes, or products of combustion (sulfur
oxide gases). Firemen exposed to contaminated smoke should be immediately relieved and
checked for symptoms of exposure to toxic gasses. Seek medical attention
immediately! . This should not be mistaken for heat exhaustion or smoke
inhalation. These are extremely irritating to the respiratory tract and may cause
breathing difficulty and pulmonary edema. Symptoms may be delayed several hours or longer
depending upon exposure.
HAZARD RATING GUIDE
0 = Least 1 = Slight 2 = Moderate 3 = High 4 =
ACUTE HEALTH = 1
FIRE = 1
REACTIVITY = 0
CONTACT = 1
Additional Information :
Incipient fires in sulfur storage
piles can be frequently smothered by gently shoveling more sulfur, sand, or fine earth on
them to exclude all air. For larger fires, water applied as a fine mist is the most useful
agent. High pressure water sprays disperse the dust into the air and should not be
used. Coarser water sprays are permissible on deposits containing only a small proportion
of extreme sulfur fines.
Steam or inert gases are excellent extinguishers for
use in containers that can be closed tightly. Care should be taken that the sulfur dust is
not scattered into the air. If a container is closed tightly and the volume of oxygen
enclosed is not too large, a fire will be put out by the sulfur dioxide formed. Sulfur
dioxide is a toxic gas.
Firefighters handling larger fires should be
equipped with breathing apparatus with a self contained air supply. Gas masks
approved for acid gases would not provide adequate protection in a serious sulfur fire. In
all cases, it should be certain that the fire is fully extinguished before disturbing the
dust and that the sulfur has cooled sufficiently so that it will not re-ignite.
Link to view Emergency Response
CHEMTREC (800) 424-9300 (24 Hours)
Emergency only: (229) 563-2529
Corporate Office, Valdosta Georgia USA: phone (229) 244-0000
or (800) 234-7094
Bainbridge Georgia USA Manufacturing Plant: phone (229)
Acton Ontario Canada Manufacturing Plant: phone (519) 853-0120
Freeport Texas USA Manufacturing Plant:
phone (800) 234-7094 or (979)
Mt. Pleasant Texas USA Manufacturing Plant: phone (800) 828-7857 or (903) 577-5500